You can barely recognize Southeast Asia’s biggest country.Victoria Tunggono 15 July 2016 17:05
Brilio.net - Over the past decades Indonesia has seen crowded, developed and 21st-century cities spring up all over the place. Just a few decades ago some were scarcely more than villages with few humble buildings around a train station.
The photos we’ve compiled below provide a glimpse into what the country was like before it industrialized and modernized:
1. Sawah Besar, Jakarta. Date unknown.
2. Indonesian classroom. Date unknown.
3. Indonesian classroom. Date unknown.
4. Bogor Botanical Gardens, West Java. Date unknown.
5. Garut, West Java. Date unknown.
6. Post office in Jakarta. Date unknown.
7. Sabang, Sumatra. Date unknown.
8. Pasar Baru, Jakarta. Date unknown.
9. Train station Jakarta Kota. 1970.
10. Jalan Sudirman, Jakarta. 1971.
11. Dirgantara Monument, Pancoran, Jakarta. Date unknown.
12. A house in Menteng, Jakarta. 1930.
13. A soldier in Braga street, Bandung, West Java. 1940.
14. A street in Solo, Central Java. 1940.
15. Helicak, tri-wheeled public transport made out of a Lambretta scooter, Jakarta. Date unknown.
16. Train station in Bandung, West Java. Between 1920-1925.
17. Schoolchildren. 1920.
MORE AND MORE FASCINATING BLACK AND WHITE PHOTOS FROM THE PAST. CLICK NEXT TO CONTINUE.