The nation's birth came through bloody and bitter struggle.Andry Trysandy Mahany 11 August 2016 18:16
1. General Douglas MacArthur in Morotai, Maluku, during World War II.
2. Civilians flee during the Battle of Surabaya in November 1945.
3. Dutch soldiers fighting the newly-formed Republic of Indonesia as part of Operation Product in July 1947.
4. Relocations under the UN-brokered Renville Agreement.
5. Captured Indonesian soldiers in Malang, East Java, July 1947.
6. Dutch troops buy cigarettes from a street vendor around Cikampek in Karawang, West Java, 1947.
CLICK NEXT FOR MORE PHOTOS