This collection gives true meaning to the national motto 'Unity in Diversity'Victoria Tunggono 17 July 2016 18:01
Brilio.net - People say if you want to see the greatness of a nation, look at its history. Compiled from various sources, below is a collection of of photos showing the diversity of Indonesian culture at a time when Jakarta was still Batavia and the Dutch still held sway in the archipelago.
1. Semarang boy, Java. 1913.
2. Young Javanese dancers, Java. Date unknown.
3. Betawi woman in kebaya and batik sarong, Jakarta. Between 1900-1915.
4. Balinese girl in temple costume, Bali. Between 1910-1914.
5. Acehnese people, North Sumatra. Date unknown.
6. Karo Batak family, North Sumatra. Date unknown.
7. Young Minangkabau people, West Sumatra. Date unknown.
8. Family, Central Java. Date unknown.
9. People in Lombok, West Nusa Tenggara. Date unknown.
10. Dayak people, Kalimantan. Date unknown.
11. Buleleng King and his secretary, Bali. 1875.
12. Javanese romantic painter and pioneer of Indonesian modern art, Raden Saleh (1811-1880). 1872.
13. Bugis women, Sulawesi. Date unknown
14. A food seller from Batavia. 1870.
15. Ambonese, Maluku. Date unknown.
16. Javanese prince with two servants, Java. Between 1865-1870.
17. Family, Papua. Date unknown.
CLICK NEXT FOR MORE PHOTOS.